Thursday, October 27, 2016

Areligious, but not atheist

It may seem strange to some: I consider myself to be Areligious, but not Atheist.

That is to say, I believe in the One True and Living God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And I believe that Jesus/Yeshua is Messiah, the manifestation of the Living God on earth. And, as I've said before and in Turn to HIM, I don't believe that Jesus came to set up a new religion. Rather, he came to end all religion. 

I follow certain religious practices, it's true: lighting Sabbath candles; kissing my wife and daughter and blessing them as we embrace each other (on those nights when we're not having a row about something trivial...we're not saints); I pray; I fast sometimes; I've tried my best to observe the LORD's special days. But I don't feel that I have to do these things as though my life or salvation depends on it. I don't feel (as I did when I considered myself a Christian and was under the willing yoke of 'the church') that God is nitpicking everything I do to death. Nor do I feel ridiculously self-important as though God is depending on my every little move to make sure that His Kingdom is brought about and that it all somehow depends on me. Granted I do believe He wants me to behave according to His will-I don't believe one can just do whatever one wants. But there's a reason to everything that God does, and a reason for everything that He has spoken to us through His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment